United Way of El Paso County
The United Way of El Paso County is proud to provide the Parents as Teachers Program, an evidence-based, home visitation program that believes parents are their children’s first and most influential teachers.
The dynamic components of the Parents as Teachers Program are:
- Personal visits, to increase their knowledge of early childhood development, school readiness and parenting behaviors.
- Child Screenings to provide early detection of developmental delays and health issues.
- Group Connections to provide parents an opportunity to increase social connections and share information about parenting issues and child development.
- Resource Network to connect families to resources that help them address their needs and reach their goals.
Parents as Teachers Program emphasis on three areas are:
- Parent-Child Interactions: to increase children’s school readiness and school success such as literacy, communication skills, and emotional cues.
- Development-Centered Parenting: to assist parents with understanding and observing their child’s developmental progress and adapt their parenting behaviors to meet the child’s needs based on their stage of development.
- Family Well-Being: to empower families to implement strategies and use resources.
**El Paso Center for Children, The Incredible Years and Parents as Teachers offer case management services, child care and basic needs.