United Way of El Paso County
The United Way of El Paso County is proud to provide the Parents as Teachers Program, an evidence-based, home visiting program that believes parents are their children’s first and most influential teachers.
The dynamic components of the Parents as Teachers Program are:
- Personal visits, to increase their knowledge of early childhood development and improve parenting practices.
- Child Screening, provide early detection of developmental delays and health issues.
- Group Connections, provides parents an opportunity to increase social connections and to share information about parenting issues and child development.
- Resource Network, connects families to resources that help them reach their goals and address their needs.
Parents as Teachers Program area of emphasis are:
- Parent-child interactions, to increase children’s school readiness and school success such as literacy, communication skills, and emotional cues.
- Development-center parenting, assisting parents to understand and observe their child’s developmental progress and adapt their child’s parenting behaviors to meet the child’s needs based on their stage of development.
- Family well-being, Parent Educators help empower families to come up with strategies and resources to support families.